One of the hardest things about having intolerances to gluten, is when you want to celebrate with others. Many times those who need to eat gluten free feel isolated and deprived when they go to gatherings and they are not able to participate in eating the foods everyone else is eating. I have been there many times, and I want to make it easier for those who need to be gluten free, so hopefully yo do not need to feel that way. You do not need to be left out!
My oldest daughter recently celebrated her 15th birthday. She likes finding ideas on Pinterest and found a recipe she wanted to make for her birthday and came to me and said, “Can you make this gluten free?” I said, “absolutely.” Here is the recipe that we reworked and made gluten free. Warning this is only for the serious chocolate lover.
The original recipe called for Oreos, and although there are gluten free Oreo like cookies out there, we decided to use homemade double chocolate chip cookies. It is much easier to control the ingredients going int o the recipe this way. I am very much into organic and non-GMO if you haven't already discovered that from my other posts. We also subbed real whip cream for the Cool Whip and mousse for the chocolate pudding.
Gluten Free Chocolate Lasagna
18 Double Chocolate Chip cookies (see recipe below)
6 TBSP Grass fed butter, melted
8 oz. Organic Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 C. Organic Sugar
2 TBSP Organic, Grass Milk
12 oz. Organic Whip Cream
8 oz Chocolate Mousse (see recipe below)
3 1/4 C. Organic, Grass Milk
1 1/2 C. Mini Chocolate Chips
1. In a food processor, chop cookies into fine crumbs.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine cookie crumbs with 6 TBSP of melted butter. When well combined, transfer to a 9″x 13″ pan and press to form a crust. Refrigerate the crust while making the fillings.
3. Whip the whip cream
4. Mix the cream cheese until it is fluffy. Mix in 2 TBSP of milk and the sugar. Stir in half of the whip cream.
5. Spread the mixture over the crust.
6. Make the chocolate Mousse.
7. Spread Mousse over the cream cheese layer.
8. Spread the remaining whip cream on the top and sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips.
9. Freeze for 1 hour or refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 1/4 C. Organic Coconut Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla
1 Organic, egg
1 1/4 C. Gluten Free All Purpose flour
1/2 C. Organic Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 C. Chocolate Chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a large bowl, beat coconut sugar and palm shortening until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and beat well.
3. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix well. Stir in Chocolate chips.
4. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2″ apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.
5. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
6. Cool 1 minute and then remove from cookie sheet to a cooling rack.
6 oz. Chocolate chips
1 1/2 C. Organic Heavy Cream
3 Organic egg whites
2 TBSP Organic Sugar
1. Heat 1″ of water in bottom half of a double boiler over medium heat.Place chocolate in top half of double boiler. Tightly cover. Allow chocolate to melt slowly ~9-10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and stir until smooth. Keep at room temperature until needed.
3. Place 1 1/2 C. heavy whip cream in well-chilled bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a well chilled balloon whisk. Whisk until high peaks form~ 1 minute. Set aside.
4. Whisk 3 egg whites in a large stainless steel bowl until soft peaks form, ~2-2 1/2 minutes.
5. Add 1/4 of the whip cream to the chocolate and whisk vigorously and thoroughly, then add to the egg whites. Now add the remaining whipped cream. Fold all together gently but thoroughly. Refrigerate the mousse until needed.
*** I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to make them small enough to upload (our camera takes pictures at too high a resolution)